Integrated Design Project

Main content

Mode Project
Language English
Lecturer

various tutors, see project description

Semester Fall
Program MBS
Credits 6 ECTS

The Integrated Design Project allows students to work on a selected integrated urban and architectural design project. The aim is to use climate, context analysis, energy saving measures and optimisation of urban and building-scale energy systems in the early stages of the design process.

The course is divided in two main parts; the first one represents 30% of the course content and work load, and is concerned with the work on the district scale. The other 70% of the work load are dedicated to the building and components scale. Input lectures from academics and professionals will highlight a number of topics relevant to the task. Students will be assigned into different workgroups. Each group will discuss and present their projects with internal and external reviewers at midterm and at final presentations.

Using an integrated approach, different analysis techniques and software tools, students are able to develop and compare synergies. They are able to present the results to a mixed-expertise audience using drawings, renders and reports.

Campus City Center Zurich

Integrated Design Project, 2016

 

The City of Zurich is looking for a vision of an extended campus in the city center. Urban planners worked on designing this area for about a decade. In 2014, the so called Vertiefungsstudie, a study on possible core design proposals, was published. The site contains three main actors: The University Hospital (USZ), the University of Zurich (UZH) and the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich (ETHZ) along with other, mainly residential-use buildings.

Students are asked to first analyse the status quo in terms of energy supply and emission systems, building typologies, geometry and age, local renewables as well as local climate and context. This allows the students to get a comprehensive overview of the study area, its problems, constraints and potentials. Following this analysis, each group gets to choose a site, which is either a brownfield (here, students will have to design a new building) or a site that is already occupied by a building (in this case a retrofit concept is to be developed). Finally, students are asked to design a building on the selected site and assess its performance, incorporating the previously developed energy analysis. Throughout the whole process, students will loop back to evaluate their proposals, rendering a continuous relationship between designing on the urban and building scales.

The main goal of this course is to develop synergies and designs that focus on enhancing the energy performance, reducing CO2 emissions and fostering sustainability of a city quarter.

More information on the topic and site of this year's Integrated Design Project is provided in the handout (PDF, 6.4 MB).

Module Leader: A. Schlueter
Tutors: A. Willmann, M. Begle, M. Mosteiro

 
 
Page URL: http://www.systems.arch.ethz.ch/teaching/master/integrated-design-project.html
Thu Jun 22 15:40:37 CEST 2017
© 2017 Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule Zürich